Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Sunday, June 14, 2009

Web Chat with Daniel

During our pick-up trip, Daniel, Gabriella's foster mother's son-in-law, gave us a web camera and microphone so that Gabriella could have web chats with them. It was such a kind gift because of the meaning and intent behind the gift. It was a very significant purchase for them which made the gift that much more meaningful. He absolutely ADORES Gabriella and calls her his second daughter! It is rather difficult and very tiring to communicate because of my inability to communicate well in Spanish, but we get by. Each time we talk on the web camera, Gabriella sits pretty still. Normally, if she sits on my lap while I am on the camera, she is a bundle of movement and tries to touch the keys on the keyboard and everything around the keyboard. She also stays pretty quiet and doesn't talk or interact much during these web chats. She just sits and takes everything in.

We spoke to Daniel on the web camera tonight. Gabriella was her typical quiet self but we chatted for about half an hour. Daniel told me a funny story. Gabriella had learned "STOP". She says it with her hand raised and she says it with definite intent. When we were in Guatemala she was saying it. Alejandra, Daniel's and Sandy's daughter who is just over a year old, apparently learned "STOP" from Gabriella. She says it in English and says it the same way with her hand raised. Daniel says that she uses it correctly as well, she says it if somebody is bothering her.

When we hung up from the chat, Gabriella started quietly crying. I told her we would talk to Daniel again later. I so wish I could read her mind and know exactly what she was thinking and feeling. As she gets older she will be able to better communicate her feelings to me and I will be better able to help her through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment