Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Gabriella's "Behavior"

Gabriella is definitely approaching two years old and it is evident by her behavior! She tests me, tunes me out, and goes with what her head tells her to do regardless of what I say or what she knows is right versus wrong! If I take a toy away as a consequence of her behavior, she'll respond with "all done" in a sing songy voice with no cares! If I ask her to look at me and look into my eyes so I can correct her and so she will pay attention, she'll look anywhere but at me! After I have corrected her, she walks away giggling...YES, GIGGLING! Little stinker! Sometimes I can't help but laugh myself! She is very strong-headed and knows what she wants and when she wants it. If she doesn't get her way she will throw a fit and throw herself to the ground in protest of whatever it is. Don't get me wrong, she is in NO WAY a "fresh" child. She is wonderful and loving, she is just strong-willed! She is in no way ready for juvenile hall (YET!), it is clearly toddler behavior and it is what we are currently battling! My methods are all proving ineffective and I am thinking I am going to have to give Super Nanny a call!

Gabriella spends a few hours each day at my mother's day care. I often check in with her teacher to see if she is exhibiting these same behaviors at school that she exhibits at home. The teacher always tells me that she is well behaved. Well...that was until Monday! On Monday my mother called me and told me that Ms. Michelle wanted to talk to me. Uh Oh! The call was more of a joking call, but there was still truth in the content! Ms. Michelle said that they are starting to see the behaviors we had been asking her about! Gabriella will not sit at the table for snacktime or lunchtime. She walks around the table trying to sample everybody else's food. If a teacher calls her or tries to correct her, she ignores the teacher and continues about her own business!

If this is what we are experiencing at 22 months old, what will 22 years old be like?! Any advice is always appreciated! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ha, we're starting to see some of the same developments with Charlie. He's got a great spirit and is generally well behaved. But I think he's just realizing that he has a free will to do somethings and every now and then does his own thing in direct contradiction to something we asked. So, no advice on how to deal with it -- but let me know what works!

    ReplyDelete