Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Monday, June 15, 2009

Publishing for Gabriella's Birth Father

In order to readopt Gabriella here in the United States I have to first publish for her birth father in Guatemala. I filed a motion to appeal this requirement because it makes absolutely no sense for this adoption, but I lost the motion. During the motion hearing, the judge did not even know that I was not Gabriella's birth mother, so I gathered that she wasn't familiar with my case, adoptions, or international adoptions, and certainly didn't expect her to understand why publishing made no sense. Once her decision was made, though, I was stuck having to follow procedure. I had been waiting for the citation to arrive in the mail so that I knew the publishing requirements and so that I could move forward with this nonsensical task. I finally, after many phone calls to the court, received the citation in the mail this weekend with the publishing requirements. I have to publish the citation in a Guatemalan publication once a week in each of three consecutive weeks with the last publication being before July 27. The citation calls for "any unnamed or unknown parent and persons interested in a petition for the adoption of said child and to the Department of Children and Families of said Commonwealth." It states that "if you desire to object thereto, you or your attorney must file a written appearance in said court at (court) on or before ten o'clock in the morning (10:00 AM) on September 25, 2009. Geovani, a dear friend in Guatemala, is my lifesaver again. He is translating the citation, will be contacting "Prensa Libre," a Guatemalan newspaper, and will be publishing the citation for the first time on this coming Thursday (6/18), hopefully. I will then have to get copies of each of the newspapers for proof of publication. This is absolutely ridiculous, but I have to do it. Hopefully it will go smoothly. I was hoping to have Gabriella's readoption completed this summer, but now I am assuming that the readoption date will not be assigned until after September 25, 2009. Nothing in this process has been smooth, so me expecting that the readoption would be easy was a silly expectation!

No comments:

Post a Comment