Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gabriella is Sick

I just received a phone call from N. It is 1 AM here and 11 PM in Guatemala. N. was calling to inform me that Gabriella is sick and to get permission from me to take Gabriella the doctor tonight. N. is wonderful at keeping me posted on these types of issues; she is such a wonderful lady. I can understand Spanish a bit and can speak it even less, but at 1 AM after I've been woken out of a sound sleep by a phone call, my Spanish is terrible! But I did understand, "La niƱa es malita" which is "the little girl is a little bad." I called Geovani immediately and Geovani translated for me. He has honestly such a life-saver, always willing to help when I need him. There are not many people willing to take such a late night call and translate! He even offered for me to call him back when I get the call from Norma to tell me how she made out at the doctor. From what I was able to comprehend at 1 AM and in my panicked-state, Gabriella would not take her bottle much yesterday and vomited a little last night, but began vomiting a lot tonight. She does not have a fever. I have absolutely no idea if this is a possibility or not, but am wondering if this was caused by her one-year vaccines which she received a week ago Thursday.

N. put Gabriella on the phone and Gabriella was crying. I was thinking, and still am, how I wish she were here so I could help her and care for her. I need to get her here so she can see a pediatrician who I trust. Also, I am not supposed to get these late-night phone calls about or from my daughter for at least another fifteen years; "mom, can I stay out past my curfew tonight" or "mom, the concert is running late and I will not be home for another hour"! I am not supposed to be getting these calls when she is only one year old.

I will be waiting for N.'s return call to find out how they made out at the doctor. Let's pray that it is nothing serious and that they are able to stop the vomiting and get her feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment