Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Monday, December 15, 2008

Another Evening in the ER

Due to her recent illnesses, we kept Gabriella in the house all weekend to rest. All of the stomach issues seemed resolved but but she had been fussy all day yesterday (Sunday) which was unusual because Gabriella typically doesn't fuss much. We put her down for bed at her normal bedtime which is around 7:30 PM. She cried a lot going to sleep and then kept waking up through the night crying. Finally at 12:30 AM, Ken and I decided to bring her in to the ER. I suspected that the fussing was from another ear infection. When we were checking in at the ER, Gabriella had a major episode of diarrhea that went through her diaper, her clothes, and my pants. After five hours we learned that Gabriella has a urinary tract infection. When we were in the ER last week they had wanted to catheterize her to test her for a UTI, but I would not let them. She was already going through so much and I did not want to induce more pain and stress. I wouldn't let them catheterize her this time, either. They were able to collect a urine sample in a bag. The doctor also pointed out that the results were back from Gabriella's stool sample that her pediatrician ran the day after she was in the ER last week. It showed a bacteria that may be causing the diarrhea. The doctor said that he has never seen this bacteria in a pediatric patient. We do know, though, that it is a new bacteria for her because she was tested for it previously in November and it was negative. We have to follow-up with her pediatrician tomorrow for that.

1 comment: