Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Sunday, August 26, 2007

What is a Referral?

A common question that people have been asking me is, "What is a Referral?"

Once an application is approved, a child “assignment” is made. This process is called a referral. A child referral is when the adoption agency matches what they know about the adoptive family with what they have learned about a child from the caregivers. The referral generally includes a physical description of the child, with some health and development information, and usually a photograph or photographs. Once a referral is accepted, the legal adoption proceedings begin. The referral typically throws the parent(s) into fits of panic, joy, and hyperventilation! A referral is like a sonogram of sorts, the first tangible and visible proof that there is a child at the end of the long path.

I, unfortunately, am expecting a long road before I can bring Gabriella home due to the problems in Guatemala - it may be between 6 to 9 months (or, God forbid, longer). I should have a better idea on timing after the elections in Guatemala which will be held on September 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment