Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Third Call to Gariella's Foster Family

Gia and I called Gabriella's foster family this afternoon for the third time. I didn't post last week after speaking to N. because although I knew Gabriella had been sick, I found out that her sickness had been serious enough that she had been hospitalized two times for three days each time in August. I was quite upset and spent my time investigating why I had not been contacted about this. It turns out that she was hospitalized for the effects from her lactose intolerance and it was during the time in which the referral was being made and before the referral had been accepted by me. It turns out that my adoption agency did not know about the hospitalization either and I was told that we certainly should have been contacted and received an apology.

Gabriella's foster mom, N., stated that she had many sleepless nights while Gabriella was in the hospital. N. said that she placed her hand on Gabriella's stomach and prayed for her to get better. N. stated that Gabriella had a strong will to live and fought to get better. This is quite disturbing news for a mom to hear, especially when I have absolutely no control and cannot do anything to help her or to ensure that she is well. I just have to trust that God is watching over her and taking care of her.

N. stated that Gabriella is feeling much better and is prospering now. She said that Gabriella is gaining weight and her weight gain is visible in her cheeks, thighs, and belly. She also said that the formula is not going through her like it was. She has a monthly doctor's appointment on October 4th at which time I will get her weight and new measurements.

I had sent my first package to Gabriella through another adoptive family who picked up their son on Friday. The package weighed 17 pounds and contained tons of clothes sized 0-3 months and 3-6 months, a Build-A-Bear teddy bear with a message that I recorded in it, a microcassette player with a cassette of "Gabriella" songs and a cassette with recordings of me reading her books, a blanket that I slept with, a doll, 3 disposable cameras, photos of me and my family (it was amazing to me that stores sell photo albums designed for babies and many baby toys in which you incorporate photos), pacifiers, books, and lots of stimulating toys, plus a few items for the foster family. While I was shipping the package, the bag was so packed that anytime I bumped the bag the Leap Frog toy would start singing the ABC's and other toy's sounds would activate! I was nervous that the bag may be considered suspicious because of this and not make it the full way, but it did!

N. stated that Gabriella loves the music and cries when the cassette stops! She said that she sleeps with the teddy bear and the doll. She also said that she stares at the photos of me and my family. N. stated that she prayed that Gabriella would have a mother that loved her and is so happy that Gabriella has a mom that loves her so much.

N. stated that they will be going to the attorney's office on Monday for new photos, so hopefully I will be receiving the new photos and posting them in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment