Lilypie
Not flesh of my flesh
nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own.

Never forget for a single minute
you didn't grow under my heart
but in it!


Friday, February 22, 2008

Sick

Gabriella was sick last week. She had a fever of 102.9 degrees F (39.4 degrees C). She had vomiting and diarrhea, the symptoms of the Rotavirus which is quite common in Guatemala. She wouldn't eat and was very lethargic and sleepy. She was seen by her regular pediatrician and then when she wasn't getting better N. brought her to her family doctor. The doctor put her on Pedialyte and antibiotics and suppositories to reduce her fever. What a helpless feeling it was for me. I kept wishing that our roles were reversed and I would get it so that she wouldn't have it. It turned out that I ended up ill as well with similar symptoms!

During Gabriella's sickness, Gia and I made frequent calls to N. My Spanish is very poor, and even though Gia translates I try to pay attention to N. speaking to help me learn Spanish better. During all of these conversations with N. and N.'s mother I kept hearing "Gracias, Adios" intertwined into the sentences. "Gracias, Adios" translates to "Thank You, Goodbye". I kept wondering why N. was saying "Thank You, Goodbye" mid-sentence and was very confused! I finally figured out that they were saying "Gracias a Dios" which translates to "Thank God"!

Thank God Gabriella is better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment